PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT Aeromed
Thread: NT Aeromed
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2011, 00:09
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GG who was the they you refer to as a matter of interest?

I heard from a very reliable source that the single engines currently roaming around over the west are going to be phased out and the B200 will be phased back in next round of fleet renewal.

FGD the competence of the NTG tender decision making team should be called in to question.
It was on radio national. I suppose you could find the transcripts if you dig around a little.

There was a discussion how there are not enough aeroplanes and how there are unacceptable delays to medivacs.

Some wisecrack stated there reason there were not enough 'planes' was that the 'planes' have to fly all the way to Alice Springs for maintenance and spend more time in the 'shed' there than flying. He then stated there could be more 'planes' if they used the less expensive single engine 'jet prop' types used successfully by the NT police air wing. He stated the Police and ministers have been flying on these 'planes' safely for 10 years without incident. There was some insinuation that the Police air wing should run the medivacs with PC12s (this is me reading between the lines).

A NT health department countered the claim with the reason they fly more expensive twin engine aeroplanes is due to safety. The spokesperson said that the region is one of the most lightening prone areas in the world, and this is why they fly twins.

This was basically the gist of the segment.

Personally, and after much thought, I think Hardy will be the successful tender. They have the Pilots, they have the facilities, and they will get the job done.

GG