PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann exodus....has started
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 23:05
Papa2Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Management Bashing

Folks,

Can we please take stock of things here for a moment :

1. Aer Arann is operating primarily in a small country which has had to resort to an EU/IMF bailout. What is it exactly that you're expecting from them? I realise it's a crap situation to work in a place where the wages have dropped but you need to maintain a realisation of the commercial environment. I don't agree with management getting a hike and the staff getting zero but you need to focus on what the company can sustain in the present environment rather than focusing on what you can achieve in another country working for another airline. In short, your expectations need to be realistic to the deals on offer. If not, then you either need to lower the expectations or change employment. This is true for all of us in the aviation industry, not just pilots.

2. With regard to the TRE/TRI/Captian/SFO leaving debacle then you need to think of every other company around. If any company's middle management (let's assume SFO's and experienced Captains for this argument) leave, then the company is knackered. Let's not pretend that Aer Arann is less or more susceptible to the loss of middle management types than any other company.

3. Questions have been raised about the current RE management in the past (myself included) but ultimately the actual question is "What would YOU do different?" It's all well and good complaining about the management but I have yet to see a single idea on this thread which offers any ideas about how the airline should proceed other than increasing it's cost base which will ultimately result in the staff seeking jobs elsewhere.

4. The technical condition of the A/C has been raised several times here. Can someone please confirm whether or not they are being operated outside of the manufacturer's recommendations and limitations? If so, please do your duty and report these to the authorities (IAA / CAA). If not, then please be mindful of the fact that the airline is exercising it's privileges as granted by the manufacturer to dispatch with certain items inoperative. With regard to engine reliability, I can assure you from personal experience that an engine can let go at any point in its life and generally in a situation you would prefer it held together.

In short, this post is aimed at bringing a little more rigour to the debate over Aer Arann and developing ideas amongst this community as to how to develop and improve the operation not just for the employees but also for the customers of the company who are keeping the airline going.

Brgds,

P2C.

Last edited by Papa2Charlie; 19th May 2011 at 17:51. Reason: Typo