PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cirrus SR22 Accident Nov. 16, 2008 off Cherbourg
Old 18th May 2011, 22:05
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would two hours training be astonishing? What do the regulations require?
No particular comment on the accident from me, but having spent nearly a year doing Cirrus conversions I would also be surprised at someone being let loose after only 2 hours training on the SR22 - it is a serious high performance single and while generally docile can have some surprises if pilots don't know what to expect. 2 hours circuits would be about right for a newish PPL... We generally found that current FIs would take 1.7-2 hours to train to a reasonable standard, most CPL holders were safe after 4-5, PPL holders were (by insurance) a minimum 6 hours which was generally fair, raised later on to 10 hours by insurance requirements.

Training on a modern glass cockpit aircraft is not purely about the handling of the aircraft, there is also mandatory differences training on the glass cockpit aspects. In a G1000 equipped aircraft people can get in and just look at it to have some basic familiarity but I would not regard that as safe to fly the machine solo, it should instead be a complete training solution to allow the prospective pilot to have reasonable familiarity with a) the instrument fit b) the capability c) failure options. The best way to do this in a Cirrus/other decent machine is to include some in-depth cross country flying in the training, with the focus on how to best use the automatic aids and avionics to free up spare capacity. They're great aircraft for distance flying when correctly used, but things can happen awfully quickly if the unexpected happens when single pilot IFR. Yes, even the humble SR20 can approach 200kt groundspeeds on a decent breezy day at altitude...