PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice/Help on becoming an ATCO
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 21:01
hammerthrower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice/Help on becoming an ATCO

Hi guys, I posted on here a bout a year ago looking for some advice on becoming an ATCO. I have left school now aged 17 and looking for some advice on what to do next? I have applied to both university's and colleges but I am still unsure on what to do next (academic) year.
I have applied to to instrumentation engineering and aerospace systems engineering at university and have also applied to study aircraft engineering at college witch I can progress to degree level.
I am looking for the best way for me to become an ATCO. Main main aim is to be selected through NATS and do it that way but I am also wondering how the independent situation is at the moment with regards to non-NATS towers sponsoring candidates? I have also considered joining the RAF as a controller, because to be honest this is what I want to be doing. I would rather do it and get paid half of what a NATS controller gets than be stuck in some job I hate. I have also considered applying to NATS as an engineer, but this would be my second choice if anyone could shed some light on that too?
Anyway I will be extremely grateful for any help or advice
Thanks

Also I am very keen to visit a tower or centre so if anyone could help me with getting in contact with any of the scottish towers or the SACC at Prestwick I would be very grateful!!!