PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Reaper Drones to be controlled from the UK
Old 18th May 2011, 19:03
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Muppet

How does that reflect the need to have 'aviators' behind the controls, rather than just better training?
I couldn't agree more, none of us are born as aviators and all have been trained to become an aviator (unless of course you believe Harrier mates!). The only problem is that if you train UAS/RPAS "operators" for all the skills they need then they will become as expensive to train as aviators (with a lengthier timescale to become productive) and by all but name become de-facto aviators.

Why can't the people sitting behind the controls of a UCAV/UAV/UAS/whatever we're calling them this week be given the same training and advice that would be given to anyone flying in a manned asset?
I agree and we could call them pilots and WSO/WSOps and give them brevets and flying pay to retain them because of their expensive training (and the likely lure from the civvy world when they start doing Police/Customs surveillance, pipeline/power line inspections, etc...).

I believe, we are in violent agreement.

LJ