PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmibaby
Thread: Bmibaby
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 14:51
G-AWZK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-AWZK - "Time will tell who is right inkjet, but DLH are not impressed with a number of things that are happening within the bmi group."

The source to back this statment up is.....what are they unhappy with then, The state of world affairs that are hitting the plan that they do have in place?

As it's LH running the show, your saying there not happy with themselves!
Maybe a little history lesson is needed here.

When baby was set up back in 2002, LH as a major shareholder did not want it created. Bishop, being Bishop, stuck two fingers up at Frankfurt and went ahead anyway, the reasoning being that it would be a blocker for EZY and FR at EMA. As it turns out, FR now have nearly as many aircraft based at EMA as WW have in their total fleet. When DLH were forced into buying the bmi group they did everything possible to stop the deal, and once they were forced into it, the first thing they did was try to sell it off, however the years of lack of investment didn't make it an attractive buy. Now that WW are living in Hastings House, instead of Tiny Town, it will interesting to see if any further cost savings will result. Given that the "strategy" seems to evolve on a day to day basis, and since the last financial figures were released the control of the group appears to be moving to Frankfurt rather than Donnington, I don't give baby much long term chance.

DLH have been looking for ways to offload baby since they got it, and there are some big ticket items coming down the chute that may well be the final death knell.

As to how I know this? Well I have been around a bit, and spent enough time on the third floor at Donnington Hall to see the writing on the wall and if you think that a low cost carrier model doesn't need to expand you are deluding yourself. The bmi group cannot sustain a low cost model, it has enough difficulty running a "conventional" airline.