PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobham/Chelton HeliSAS
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 14:12
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many rotorcraft specific features that make the installation light years ahead of anything else ever put in a VFR helicopter.
Absolutely! This is precedent setting for light turbine helos and will likely set the course for most manufacturers. I have recently reviewed the avionics capability of the B429 and IMHO the G1000H functionality in the B407 makes the 429 suite look primitive by comparison (except for the autopilot). However, all of the issues associated with being an early adopter seem to apply. Even though the airframe and avionics have been reasonably well proven separately, this is a complex integration and will certainly have teething problems in the early going. Sevice, parts and training may be issues as there will be few of these ships in the field for several years (assuming a production rate of about 50 per year - currently about 100 B407s per year, about half of which will be GX model with G1000). I have talked to my shop about this and they arent inclined to come up to speed on this until they see how the market develops. So, there is likely to be a plethora of tradeoffs for the early adopters. Doesnt mean one shouldnt do it, but a generous dose of patience may be needed.

Last edited by EN48; 18th May 2011 at 14:41.