PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 13:48
SaturnV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Scott,

My reading of the Airbus release posted by Takata is that is says two things: (1) the language of the release was approved in advance by the BEA so don't blame Airbus, and (2), we, Airbus, probably shouldn't have sent it out in the first place. It wasn't needed, and the only thing it produced was premature speculation.

The conundrum of damned if you do, damned if you don't with respect to release of information in the current era is that the 'audience' today is inherently more suspicious and conspiracy-minded than ever. To my knowledge, the BEA has previously not had the experience of the NTSB in doing investigations where conspiracy theories took hold.

In the case of TW 800, aside from a persistent poster on this board who insisted there was a major design flaw in the forward cargo door of the 747, how to address theories propounded by, among others, a former White House press secretary living in Paris?

'Pierre Salinger Syndrome' and the TWA 800 conspiracies - CNN

Or of an academic of some repute well-connected in some government circles (appointed by George W. Bush to a government agency) that terrorists brought down AA587?

Why Did American Airlines 587 Crash? :: Daniel Pipes

I've come to believe that its better to provide preliminary information as soon as practical, --before alternative explanations fantasized by the conspiratorialists really take root in the public psyche.