PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - arab youth and the american accent
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 13:19
Efe Cem Elci

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newscaster
We have an american school in Pakistan too, I have yet to meet people who speak american accent english after studying there since childhood under US teachers influence, they my say erb instead of herb but thats it.
Actually there are quite a few. International School of Islamabad, Karachi American School, Lahore American School, Murree Christian School. I actually went to ISOI for four years after four years in the International School of Beijing (yet another American school), and knew many people who spoke American English (as do I) just because they had been studying there for many years. When the majority of the students are either American or have grown up in international schools, and most teachers are American, it tends to influence the students as well. Believe it or not!

Originally Posted by newscaster
No one is Pak speaks in american English, or any native English speaking country accent forunately, unless born or raised in that country, those that havent and do so are ridiculed as phonies.
No one?? Where do you come up with this stuff? I've met many Pakistanis who speak with an American accent because they've been studying at an American school or with an English accent because they go to a British school or have been taught British English.