PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you have a choice at your airline - Airbus or Boeing?
Old 18th May 2011, 05:31
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as the thrusties are concerned, this "backdrive" thing is a bit irrelevant. I'm talking 737 Classic, the A/T is often a nuisance and manual thrust usually results in much less fuss.

Also, I can't tell just by feel if the throttles are in 45% position or 65% position on final, I have to look at the N1s. One usually needs to keep N1 in the scan because of asymmetry, nearly always one lever needs an extra tug or nudge to get it within 10% of the other one. One should keep the N1s in the scan anyway, they pretty much validate the wind arrow and warn you of any likely required thrust changes further down the slope.

Therefore, non-moving thrusties on an Airbus are probably less hassle providing the flying Citroen has a competent A/T system

However, the control wheel backdrive can be a boon. Having experienced large thrust lever splits with A/T in the past, the most visible can be the control wheel, it lends itself to an apriori recognition of the situation in the way that data scans generally don't.

However, if you have an FBW system that limits yaw, then I guess that argument is potentially null and void.