PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CFI Where and Where
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 03:25
FlyCorona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CFI Where and Where

Howdy,

Some points since our name came up

1. Correct, we cannot issue I-20 forms for those who need them. We are still 141 pending, and the Riverside FSDO seems in no hurry to finish our paperwork.

2. Thanks for the kind words, Peter. Amusing Typo -- even I can be lackadaisical some days -- the rest of the staff cover for me on those days and I take a breather.

3. We are running a special for Comm and CFI people to provide the E33 at $129/hr wet in 10 hour blocks. We are doing this mainly because people see the comfy Bonanza and think "oh no, big mean XC machine!", but the thing is docile for the Comm maneuvers in 225hp form, and we really don't want to get another 172RG/Arrow if we don't have to.

CFI is mainly ground training and learning how to teach -- you already know the airwork as a CPL -- the more prep you put into it beforehand the easier and less expensive it will be. At the moment we're twin-less (due to aforementioned PA30) -- but we have sublease arrangements on a few types of ME, and we can make it happen for ya. We are actually training an MEI right now in the PA34 Seneca, and have arrangements for a Duchess as well.

Feel free to reach out if I can help in anyway. ([email protected]) American Flyers is a good group also, they're just much more "formal" than we are -- we think this stuff should be fun, not boot camp -- but there are students who need the rigidity, and they can have trouble achieving their goals with our culture -- we don't babysit our clients.

I got my own CFI at ATP JAX, and while it was VERY rushed, I felt it was thorough. Definitely a no-frills, get-it-done culture there. If I didn't cram the 2 weeks prior to arrival, I'd have failed -- it is a LOT of material -- and in fact, our class of 7 saw 3 people wash out before it was over. One broke out in tears in checkride prep and just lost it and had to leave. Brutal.

$0.02 -- Good luck on the CFI, wherever you train at!

- Mike

(PS -- "ASES" was a low blow )