PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cobham/Chelton HeliSAS
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 02:13
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
but is barely integrated.
It is very similar to simple, "low cost" airplane autopilots, and seems well suited to a VFR only helicopter (virtually all single engine helicopters at present). The only other autopilot certified for the B407 AFAIK is the SAGEM at about 3X the cost. Garmin has an excellent digital autopilot for airplanes and I continue to hear rumors about it being adapted to helicopters, but we could grow old waiting for this. Its easy to knock the Chelton Flight Logic FMS but remember that this was available 10 years before the G500H (which is not an FMS, does not have an integrated GPS sensor, and is not IFR certified). After flying with the G500H for almost a year, I still prefer the Chelton even though it is considerably more expensive than the G500H. And, I am still dealing with bugs in the G500H software, some of which are still not resolved and will require additional fixes. In talking to Garmin yesterday, they told me that some of these could take "2-3 years" to resolve. I have also flown the G1000 in the B407 and while most impressive, it has yet to be delivered to a helicopter customer (estimated late this year) and will undoubtedly have its own maturation cycle in a helicopter application. Unlike airframes, avionics are a moving target and most exciting new avionics look like antiques in 5-7 years no matter who makes them!

Last edited by EN48; 18th May 2011 at 02:43.