PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 17th May 2011, 21:47
springbokflyer145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Times have definately changed

Hi guys. Just been reading some of the comments.

I agree with alot of the comments. I remember when I started to pursue a career in aviation, the crew where on brilliant contracts, never needed to be type rated, had great pay scales and being a commercial pilot had a status above most.

By the time I qualified, had rung up a mortgage (for training etc) all these T and C's had gone. To get anywhere you needed to pay for a type rating or at least be bonded for 5 years. Again as time went by if you went and paid for a type rating with no job, the airlines wanted you to have at least 500 hours on type so just another obstacle to try get over.
If you did eventually get a job, it was only for the reason that you were going to be flying for peanuts and you paying for the rating/line training but hey you didnt mind because you needed the experience.

I think as the airlines caught onto this idea, it totally screwed up the whole profession. Everyone needed a type rating to which you had to pay for it and from there everything went down hill.
Dont get me wrong, if you have time on type and want to go live in Asia, (and not married of course) then there are good contracts to be had.

Like someone mentioned earlier in the post that they do it because they love flying and not for the money.....there is no money in it anymore.

As for the flying, when I started flying on the King Air and the Chieftain, it was probably some of the best flying I have ever done. Single Pilot wasnt great but what a way to gain command experience and good decision making when it all boils down to one person.......you.

Once on the jets, the flying became boring, 1000ft A/P came in and then sat back for 7 hours to disconnect the A/P to land. The destinations and stop overs became better as you were now flying further.

Times have changed but if you want money, forget about flying and become a plumber or Sparkie. I really wish flying had the status it used to have. Dont think it will change any time soon as most young guys want to be a Maverick so therefore pursue their dreams and so the circle of life of pilots continue.

I suppose as long as you can survive and pay your bills then go for it. We all love being in the air and at the end of the day that is the reason why birds sing!!

Happy Flying