PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RV Jones and his watches
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 14:51
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
RV Jones and his watches

I'm in the middle of watching the BBC Documentary "The Secret War" (via YouTube). I hadn't heard of this until it was posted on PPRuNe recently, but I cannot relocate the posting. Thanks whoever it was - RV Jones' book "Most Secret War" is one of my frequently re-read favourites.

I noticed that Professor Jones is wearing two wrist watches, during his interview. Does anyone know why he did this?

I asked a good friend of mine, who was at Aberdeen University in the 1950s, about the two watches and he sent me this interesting reply and anecdote:

Yes, I believe so. I cannot remember his answer when asked "Why?'.

He was an honorary member of the Aberdeen University Air Squadron, and at a dine in night in Hemswell, Lincolnshire, we threw him out of a window (ground floor) and broke his watch (I think he only had one on at the time). This was NOT the cause of his habit as I think he was prone to wearing two watches before that. He may only have worn two to lectures to illustrate the point that a man with one watch always knows the exact time, but a man with two watches never does!
Getting back to the documentaries - what a marvellous, well-made series. So much better than most of the rubbish that is churned out to fill all the cable and satellite channels these days. Is the series available on DVD?

Besides all the technically interesting details, there are all those interviews with famous people involved on both sides. Besides RV Jones, there are, going from memory, Bee Beamont, Keith Park, Albert Speer, Adolf Galland and my favourite, Hanna Reitsch, complete with a close up of her Diamond Badge.