PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Reaper Drones to be controlled from the UK
Old 17th May 2011, 10:56
hval

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timex,

Unlike the rest of the guys on Ops who don't go home after every patrol or sortie, instead its back to the patrol base or Airbase....
I have admiration for all those people as well. maybe I should have been more clear in what I wrote. I do apologise for my lack of clarity.

Those aircrew who operate in Libya may currently be located in Italy. Those operating in Afghanistan may be located in Afghanistan. It is generally easier to get in to the mind set of being at work and not thinking too often about home. You are generally mixing with people in the same situation who are able to provide the necessary mental support (shared situation and that). For those that go home every night after being in a combat situation it is generally difficult switching from combat mode to "wife and children" mode. For "drone" crew this is a situation they face day in and day out. They may not physically be in a combat situation, but everything they do, see, hear, is to do with combat - whether releasing weapons, seeing people killed, hearing intel, etc. At the end of their shift they then have to change from combat mode, try and forget what they have seen and done (somewhat impossible) and act in a totally different manner. Drone personnel do this all the time. Many others only do it at the end of a tour. I know I find it difficult coming back to the real world. Imagine having to do that every day.

Hopefully the above paragraph clarifies matters. Basically all military personnel deserve admiration (well, generally). I do however believe that the teams involved with drones are disparaged unnecessarily. My postings on this thread about drone personnel are to be taken in that context.

NB: - I know I have called the unmanned aircraft drones; I prefer UAV's. I do realize however that every six months or so they are called something different.

PS.
If I have not clarified matters sufficiently please let me know, and I shall make further attempts.

Hval

Last edited by hval; 17th May 2011 at 19:46. Reason: Spelling & clarity