PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SP-400 handheld can display an ILS
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 10:33
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you never fly anywhere, that's fine.

I would also prefer a DIY descent, using GPS, over the sea, and then land VFR at a coastal airport. This is how "VFR" pilots have been flying "VFR" to coastal airports for yonks. This is why most non-precision instrument approaches at coastal airports are practically irrelevant (they are present for legal reasons, AOC ops etc).

But if you are inland, with some terrain around, not enough fuel to fly to the coast, and all the radar vectoring options are not going to get you to a runway in VMC, then your only choice is to fly an instrument approach. Same if the coastal airports are shut because they close at 6pm.... and it is dark and their runway lights are off.

There are loads of ways to run out of options.

Also, this thing is a radio and no pilot should fly without a handheld radio, in case of an electrical failure (plus a handheld GPS).

If I did not already have a good Icom radio which I don't want to get rid of just yet, I would buy this one right away.

Just make sure the US shop does not rip you off on delivery charges. Many US firms have no idea about the options and just send everything Fedex (etc) for $200.