PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 06:44
Em773ER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am well aware of the new deal for the Cadet and second officer, and we have a detailed explanation in a previous post.
However, I don't know anything about the future deal for the first officer and captain (I mean, the deal in the future when the current cadet will get upgraded to FO or CPT later....)
Do anyone know some figures ? Because on the CX website, a few numbers are given, and they are pretty much the same as the one I can see on pilotjobsnetwork, which I guess are based on the current payscale. So, could anyone be more specific about what's going on please ?
Well I don't know if this is true but this is what was posted in a previous post by "The Rents"

With the new housing allowance of 120,000 hkd per annum, rising with rank, basic pay of 330,000 hkd + 9% rise this year, plus another 3% next year, a guaranteed flight allowance for 84 hours flying per month equalling 28,000 hkd per annum you can't afford to pratt about. That lot gives you in excess of 500,000 hkd per annum.
but i'm not certain whether these figures are correct. All I know (correct me if i'm wrong), is that by the time you're first year captain via cadet scheme, you may be earning as much or less than a 3rd year DESO (roughly). and also i dont think the housing allowance will rise with rank, as mentioned by the rents.

and another post you might find of interest.

Then when you finally go right hand seat as First Officer, it only lasts 2 years maximum as you will then become a "Relief Pilot" which is another term they invented to save costs to save having 2 captains on a flight. What this means is that you will spend your time doing the same job as.. guess what..? Yes a Second Officer again! So great, you do relief pilot work for probably 5 to 10 years until your command. And they have just extended the retirement age, so you will have to wait even longer for upgrade to Captain.

And even better, when you are a first officer and a Captain, you will be working your ring off. The working hours are apaprently ****e. I personally dont mind working hard but these guys say that their efforts are beyond resonable definitions. They told me about a loophole the compnay uses called "split duty" where you fly to a destination at night, spend 40 minutes on a bus to a crappy hotel where you sleep for around 5 hours, then bus back to the airport and fly back to Hong Kong, which I guess would be ok once in awhile but they do it all the time. Sounds like the Hong Kong regulator turns a bit of a blind eye over there which is not very reassuring.
When you upgrade to Captain you will get a special management allowance which is about 1/3 of the housing allowance that expat pilots get, again i'm not sure if this is true.

Plain & simple it's the package. I have done the maths in every possible way, including offshore accounts, shelf companies, etc to make it work. I wanted CX and tried to find a way. The cold hard facts are that I WILL NOT be able to comfortably retire. The pilots and crew cannot trust management to honour a contract. To own my own property is not unachievable but a very distant goal: up to 15-20 years of strict (very strict) saving because initially as SO I won't be able to. Add any possibility of wife, kids, education, associated costs....? No. It can't be done on this salary in HK & the costs of living.

It's never been the seat I sit in or the bars on the shoulders to parade about the mirror in. It's about a CAREER that leaves me able to show a responsibility to a hopeful family & eventual retirement. This package CANNOT offer that.
you don't need the specifics tithybo, from that post, its obvious that the deals you get as FO and Cpt on this package are still no where near good enough for comfortable retirement, do what you will with what info you get. hope that helps