PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2011, 01:45
bearfoil

TurbineD

I think I read PJ2's post correctly. Nacelle ingestion is remote for that damage. I think the ingestion would be at forward speed only, no time to contact the Wheel. The engine Fan Blades are moving at roughly 1200 mph relative to the water, the Fan Blades were likely "still" by the time the first fragment ambled back into the Fan. The Fan had stopped, the Blades were still, and any fragments in front would be hitting the Blades at 1/15 the speed of the initial contact. In other words, I think the blades incurred leading edge damage before they hit the debris. Instant stop v. 60 mph aft, covering 18 inches?? I think it possible that the Nacelle debris was not ingested at all, but expelled forward, in the ram created by the incredible displacement of water by the Fan "Disc". Disc in the sense of an energetic and dynamic "wall". What is also possible is that the disintegrating Fan Blades created a metallic and composite 'Slurry' creating an hydraulic cutting medium in the adjacent chaotic spool down.

Last edited by bearfoil; 17th May 2011 at 01:59.