PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - oxford
Thread: oxford
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 20:43
Send Clowns

Jet Blast Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WWW has cut to the essentials. The most important: visit the schools. This is a big outlay!

---

I would have to disagree with Mike on one point - less than 18 months is a very reasonable target for a modular course, as long as you book each module in good time.

Many students are passing groundschool in the 6-month minimum now as I did, or little more, so my own case is not atypical. I sat a one-month course that is not strictly necessary, was off flying ill for 5 weeks and took my CPL over the winter, so had the flying interrupted by weather and the Christmas break. Yet I finished in 15 months. With a summer CPL and no illness and not sitting the supplimentary PPL groundschool 12 months would not have been a problem.

---

I also support Alex's point that results cannot be compared. Even if the modular schools knew full results (students don't have to tell us!) they don't show anything unless you know the individual students. All schools vary as to their intake, each class varies as to its character. At SFT we had one class half of which spent every weekend and some weeknights in For Your Eyes Only (a strip club, for those few innocents out there) in Bournemouth (you know who you are lads ). How do you interpret their results? Not much we as a school could do about that!