PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2011, 16:21
Lonewolf_50

Received 421 Likes on 263 Posts
@ Graybeard in re distance and decision points: thanks for the insight on timelines and timeliness.

If the radar is manipulable by the aircrew, and there are two pilots in a cockpit, and aircrew is familiar with the equipment and its function, I am not sure that the automated version is a requirment. I realize this is a partly philosophical argument, and partly fiscal, since you note that companies are loath to upgrade (cost!) without a compelling reason.

To expand my thought into CRM, if the crew is aware of weather forecast before takeoff, and conditions en route, and get occasional to frequent updates on weather as flights progress, then where there is the sort of weather that Wx radar is built for analyzing, the crew prioritizes that function (figuring out how nasty that Wx up ahead really is) in its tasks en route. One pilot flying/monitoring performance compared to planned and expected, the other "I am on radar" monkeying with the radar to coax the best performance out of it that he can.

Seems to me well within the remit of multi place aircraft crew task loading.

What am I missing? Is the auto feature more useful in terminal area evolutions (departure/arrival) or is it intended for more robust capability en route?