PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to start another airline offshore?
Old 16th May 2011, 15:23
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't Qantas through 3K using a sham Singaporean structure to compete head on with SQ and its group of airlines?
Hi DrPepz,
Yes, there are a few people in Asia who feel the Q/J* setup in SIN is a sham, and after today's announcement,
Mr Joyce said that Qantas doesn't rule out the idea of establishing an offshore unit to help boost profits from international services in the future.
AJ may have disturbed some old wounds back in Singapore with the above announcement that may create difficulties if Q were really planing to set up an international arm in Singapore. Probably safer for them to go to Malaysia and leave SIN as it is, leave sleeping dogs lie.
Remember the SQ knock back by the Australian government for OZ US rights strongly opposed by Q management at the time, apparently ruffled a few feathers with the ruling families back in Sin.
The recent knock back by Australia for the takeover of the ASX to name a couple.
It really doesn't matter how good the ASAs are in Singapore, they need the business as Changi is a big part of the island states economy, simple as that really.
SIN-AKL is operated using the SIN AOC on the SIN-NZ Bilateral. Even NZ-USA can be operated using SIN AOC with 5th freedoms, because the SIN-NZ-USA Open Skies Agreement
Sure, but NZ is a small market and a long way to go via if you want to go on to the US. In addition, Q has set up Jet connect in NZ which is a huge issue back here at the moment.

I suppose I still believe in that old saying, many airlines are governed by "Nationalistic Pride." I believe SQ is one of those airlines and Qantas is another. I can also remember the old 707s painted in the old MSA colours approching r16 SYD, before a family member working for Q was sent to Sin to help set up Singapore Airlines. SQ have done a brilliant job with their fleet planning, Qantas has not. Somehow the current Q management believe that after bleeding it dry to set up J* it is necessary to move the heart and sole of a 90 year old airline to Asia. It is here I draw the line, I guess I am a traditionalist, I believe in the "high standards culture" developed by Q pilots, Engineers and CCs and still one of the best in aviation, Qantas was well on the way to be 50 years old before AJ was even born! He possibly thinks he is Willie Walsh.
Air India should have restructured 10 years ago: Willie Walsh - The Economic Times
What has been the biggest difference to the organisation after BA and Iberia merged?

Willie Walsh: We haven't merged the brands, IAG is not a brand, it's a holding company. We have cleanly set out 2 operating companies, 2 brands. What has happened is we can now take an over-arching view, in the interests of shareholders. We have retained flexibility, which is very important, but we can also coordinate and control when the need arises - we're looking for Euro 400 million in synergy by year 5 - 60% will come from cost savings, and 40% from revenues. What we also now have in IAG is a platform, that will allow us to participate with anybody, as the aviation industry sees more consolidation. We're open to more partners, but there is no discussion on at the moment.
Interesting read anyway.

Last edited by TIMA9X; 16th May 2011 at 23:29.