PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA membership useful?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 19:44
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, with all the debate on this topic in mind , I betook me to the AOPA AGM in London yesterday.

What ChrisN has written is an excellent synopsis of what AOPA, GAAC, PFA (and others) do.

What I found out was just how much AOPA is doing. There was a two-hour presentation, and apart from the section about the NPPL, most of it was news to me. Why don't we know about all that? In part because the guys are too busy doing it, and too stretched to take time out to write it up for publication (until they're finished). In part because some of it is in delicate negotiations stage and too much publicity might harm the result.

Believe me, what AOPA is doing is for ALL pilots - those who (like me) consider it their duty to support an organisation that works for me, AND those who are happy to accept this work done for them, without contributing to the costs of doing so.

I make no apology for encouraging all pilots who want to be able to fly in UK airspace in ten years time to join AOPA-UK *now*. And if you're good at this stuff, offer to join in and help do some of the work!

And the first time you make an error in navigation and violate some controlled airspace, and are "summonsed", your AOPA membership will be covered ten times over by the legal assistance you will get. AOPA's track record in defending members accused (rightly or falsely) is excellent.

I have no equity in AOPA - other than as a member. I'm glad I am. No, it's not perfect. It's a heck of a lot better than the alternative of nothing.

There! Rant over. I feel better now.