PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten Norman Islanders [Love em or Hate em?]
Old 16th May 2011, 10:18
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got an image of one that has 3 blade on the mains but a 2 blade on the spare. Has the words: aurigny.com and rego G-JOEY on the side
Yes, that will be correct. there are Trislanders about with 3 bladed props on the wing engines. That is just a recent innovation though and was not part of the Type Certification. JOEY is a -2 and not a -3 aircraft... It also had two bladed props back in the early 90's when I last saw it.

I am sure the Wikipedia entry is incorrect, - the FAA certified -3 variant had auto-feather, but the props back then were all two bladed I am pretty sure.

I saw a Wikaya Air Islander in Fiji in the mid 90's with factory fitted 3 bladed props. I think that is about the time the mod or STC would have gained a little popularity.

I think only about 78 Trislanders were produced and for a while there it seemed like every country I went to had them, up through the Pacific, about Africa and even the couple in Aussie.. Aurigny would have been the biggest fleet though.. They must have had close to 10 aircraft there at one point.

I think an outfit down in Florida had a sizeable fleet at one stage, again I am not sure how many would have been -3 models though. I am thinking very few BN2-A Mk III-3 were certified.