PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF establishment level early 60s
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2011, 07:30
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gerontocat, your white Vulcans in Malta was something else. Every year one squadron would detach to Malta for two months on an Exercise called SUNSPOT, aptly named.

They had their own purpose built dispersal. Unlike the UK where the aircraft were dispersed around the airfield. In Malta lack of space dictated they used just one flight line.

They deployed with operational targetting material and were self-sufficient for the whole time. I believe the Valiants used to hold this task and were based there as part of Musketeer and later for Kuwait.

On Google Earth you can see a Herc parked there. The next disperal with hangars is new. To the north east of that were 13/39. I believe the Shacks were parked on what is now the end of the main runway which used to be the short runway. Finally the Lightnings would be parked on the northern disperal alongside the runway. Going southeast down what is now the main runway the first hardstanding was the civil terminal. The extension and new terminal are more recent and post-independence.