PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 23:30
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

yeah grizz. I go with your definition.

We had two great CFIT crashes in my wing. One was fully documented on the guy's radar tape.

- descending to 1000 ft AGL from 20,000 ft. No AP attitude hold, so trimmed for descent. Over desert with zero ground lights - a big, black hole. Impacted a few miles short of the tgt at the correct angle for a descent to 4,200 feet or so in a stable descent. Video tape of radar display shows pilot refining aimpoint for the radar drop and then screen goes "bbbzzzzttt". So finding was he misread altimeter by 10,000 feet. no radar altimeter then for the jet. Woulda saved his butt.

- Overcast at 1500 ft or lower over Great Salt Lake. No wind and lake is like glass ( I flew over the lake a few minutes before). Snow showers look like coming from below lake and going up, and vice versa. No radar altimiter. Turning at heavy weight and AP altitude hold and Heading Select allows descent when AoA above 13 or 14 degrees with no warning to pilot. Indications were that the pilot was changing IFF at impact ( forensic exam of broken bones, etc).

Now THOSE are CFIT examples.