PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 15th May 2011, 22:37
Rocket_Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However I heard yesterday that students in TC that are now faced with at least 6 months on the wings while waiting for TVC etc are going to be paid ATSA 3 wages.
If that is correct then full marks to Prospect for negotiating a fair deal for them
Excellent news! Sod demarcation, ATCOs can do ATSA tasks.That's absolutely fine by me! One condition though; ATSAs do flow control instead of highly paid ATCOs. How'd that be?

Lets face it, if you divide the unions by taking each others roles, then who are the executive going to listen to when it comes to cutting staff costs. If it can be done cheaper by another staff group then the executive will be very interested indeed. Prospect members need to think carefully before accepting deals that are divisive - they may end up with egg on their faces in the long run.

PCS also need to stop agreeing to short term solutions to 'keep the business viable.' I and many of my colleagues (those not nearing retirement it would seem) do not want little bonus bungs to accept poor deals in lieu of good job security. Whilst I understand that negotiators must have a tough time arguing the case for the ATSA population whilst most of their membership only seem interested in who gets the next break or EG, they must fight for the longer term goal of job security. ATSAs are not viewed as value for money; and there are only two ways for PCS, in negotiation with management, to solve that, either reduce pay (can't see anyone, other than management, wanting that) or increase staff value in terms of the tasks they undertake i.e. the company gets more from them for the money it pays them.

So next time, as a member of PCS, you find yourself saying,, "I'm not doing that, it's not not in my job description." Perhaps you should say, " I will do that if you put it in my job description."

Wake up and save yourselves!!!