PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber role - why was Vulcan picked over Victor?
Old 15th May 2011, 18:53
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
kiwi,

NP.

The big difference between the Valiant and the Victor 1 was give away. I don't know the comparative fuel loads and giveaway in numbers but do know that a Valiant could 'take' a fighter to the Far East. It could fly to Malta or El Adem, Khormaksar, Gan, Tengah with a Javelin plugging in along the way. The Victor, OTOH, require route activation first.

Route activation was a question of prepositioning tankers at each staging post and tanking aircraft as they passed through. It was a non-starter with the Vulcan-Valiant as the Vulcans could reach the Far East in 2 days whereas it took at least that long to activate the route for even one aircraft.

For Javelins the Valiant was perfect. It could flow from Marham and also reach the Far East in 2 days, although 4 was the norm, with a Javelin in tow. If spares could be positioned down route they could increase the Valiant give-away.

The Victor, OTOH, require full route activation with the main refueller being topped up at TOC before it could take its fighter down the route.