PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 11:53
AV Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diplome - Given the 'winning looks' being received by non-striking CC from striking CC, as reported by JUAN T on the Professionals' Thread, I'm not sure at all that striking CC know they have lost. Indeed, non-striking CC now have another period of continuing immature and unpleasant behaviour of a different nature to deal with. Their collective patience has been and is continuing to be tested way beyond the call of duty.

What I have learned, and did not appreciate at the outset of this dispute, is that through CC's unwillingness (inability?) to think and act rationally for themselves they are an extremely vulnerable group. Without a union they risk being controlled by an over-zealous BA management. With a union they risk being controlled by a non-intellectual, bullying and self-aggrandising union executive that finds its way into power through their very vulnerability.

As Hippenine says "IR in major economic entities is a big-boys' game" and I guess this is the antithesis of CC's natural skill set and outlook on life. If CC are to avoid electing the same kind of executive in the future they will need to know they have lost, understand the reasons why, take their time to consider, then regroup and move forwards on a solid footing.

Personally, I feel the PCCC would be an excellent way forward as it has been formed by thinking, knowledgable, CC from their own realistic understanding of their situation. If they could engage an outside independent IR coach who can help them develop more of the 'teeth and needle' side of the game then I could see them being very effective representing themselves and the growing MF with BA management respecting their mature, constructive and mutually-cooperative rather than confrontational style, while making the customer the focus, in collective negotiations moving forwards.

As a Branch of Unite they could very well become a 21st Century example of a different style of union representation. If BA grows, and the PCCC is seen to maintain MF's Ts & Cs consistently above market rate over time, then other Unite Branches will be only too keen to mimic their style.

HiFlyer14 & Betty Girl - BA have knocked-out your bully so you can come out of the shadows - how say you?

Last edited by AV Flyer; 15th May 2011 at 12:36.