PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air new zealand jobs
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2011, 09:02
springbokflyer145

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slamer,

Thanks for all the Air NZ info. I am talking about NZ in general and not only Air NZ.
Its even in the small carriers like Eagle Airways. I know of an expat who came over to NZ when Eagle was just getting the B1900, he had 2000 on type and in excess of 10000total and he was turned down because he had no NZ experience and they took on a Kiwi with 800 hours. It took this same bloke 6 years to get a flying job here (chief pilot) he has since jacked in flying all together as he is sick of all the nonsense.

As for starting at the bottom again....SLAMER would go from being a Captain on 747 to flying a C172 around for $11.50 an hour to get the so called NZ experience? Not sure what experience you would get but would you actually be able to find that job and would you be given it as you wouldnt have their the first requirement........yes you guessed it.....NZ Experience!

If this overseas experience is not that great then why are there so many Kiwi pilots throughout the world and not all sitting in Auckland or Christchurch..........because they have left to go get some of the golden stuff........EXPERIENCE.

As for these demanding airports you talk about overseas........ well compared to the airports here, I think they are as you say.
What is this big thing 'NZ EXPERIENCE' that they weant you to get..... is the air different, the plane different or maybe an ILS or an NDB thats different,

at least they have had the experience of flying into much more demanding airports, areas, countries than rather the same old A to B, B to A etc etc

Some of the ski resorts within Europe are demanding and no big stuff can get, most visual from 13000ft and no chance to recover from an engine failure on the missed approach. That to me is experience in itself and coming from a corporate background, the everyday flying is challening and demanding as you never going into the same places twice in a day or even a month, weather a big issue into some of the airports and performance just within the envelope.

Its funny how my skill (not flying) was required when I arrived in NZ, they used me for it and made me pay a great amount for residence etc even though they needed my trade and therefore i think I deserve the right to be able to apply for any job I want. I might not be a KIWI by birth but since immigrating here, i abide by your rules, regs( even though some I dont agree with and dont try change them) and I even support the All Blacks !!!!
So I think this NZ experience thing is a waste of time.
If you have the right to live and work......then you should be able to do just that............................... WORK!!!!

Have a good weekend guys.

Last edited by springbokflyer145; 15th May 2011 at 09:13.