PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Britten Norman Islanders [Love em or Hate em?]
Old 15th May 2011, 02:32
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that.. hmmm. - has anyone actually seen a -3 Trislander with 3 bladed props ?
I have never come across one.

I believe most here that have flown the BN2 will recall the tacho, and it's issues. It derrives it's signal from the reduntant points in the magnetos..... that same signal is used via the 2500rpm speed sensor box to initiate the autofeather on the FAA certified machines. (the -3).
I have never flown one but it sounds scary...... you may have dirty points and all of a sudden the prop is going on you.

I had to fix one Islander that had the prop go into feather during slow cruise. Luckily I remembered that the governors were different on wide deck engines, - sure enough that was the problem.
I only learned that from doing the Trislander course with Aurigny in the Channel Islands. One of those occasions when a little knowledge helped the fault finding immensely.

Going back to the Military variant, I can recall a proposal to have a bigger version with 3 Darts powering it.
I kid you not.

Mainlander

Last edited by baron_beeza; 15th May 2011 at 02:45.