PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Simplified IFR rating for French PPLs
Old 14th May 2011, 19:32
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just translated that using google...

It may have been brewing for a while in the French pilot community but not for lots of years.

I recall doing some informal research in French pilot forums, about 3 years ago, by getting a well known French pilot friend to ask some questions for me there. The feedback was very mixed (the usual stuff with many wanting an "IMCR" desperately, while others were unsure whether anybody with less than 7 exams and 50hrs would be capable of instrument flight) but certainly there was no indication of anything known to be under official consideration in France.

It is of course possible that the DGAC, less than happy about everybody with a half decent plane being N-reg, had been planning something for a while, internally. One could say the same for the UK CAA and the German DFS. But, like the UK CAA, they certainly didn't do anything and merely presided over the continual gold-plating of the JAA IR.

I hope to be able to say, say 5 years from now, that French industry interests (Dassault, Socata, Eurocopter, etc) ensured that the French Govt stuck a finger up to EASA at the last minute, and made the vital difference.