PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2011, 10:29
YorkshireTyke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betty Girl,

I actually have no difficulty with the concept of Staff Travel in retirement equalling length of service, except that that is not what was offered, and promised, when we started, and for some, older than me, who cut their service by taking Severance that was dangled before them to help the Company, Staff Travel for the length of ones' retirement was written into to the Severance packet, albeit with the usual caveat of 'concession' not 'entitlement' of course, so there is no legal recourse against this retrospective attack. ( I've seen such a document )

I know of one old codger ( 77 now ) pilot who took severance at age 48, 7 years before the normal retirement age, then, of 55 for pilots, sure it suited him, to deal with a "mid-life crisis", but it suited the company too or they wouldn't have offered it. Had he not accepted the company carrot he would have retired 7 years later ( on a better pension, too ) and had 7 years more service ( that the Company would have had to pay him a salary for ) so he has effectively lost 14 years of his staff travel in retirement, and living out of the UK really feels kicked in the guts by WW and his gang.

Even pilots retiring at normal age of 55, have effectively lost 20 years travel in retirement over general staff working to 65 ( 10 years later with 10 years more service )

The number of old codgers like this who would actually take advantage of Staff Travel during their 80's and 90's must be almost negligible, so this retrospective action against them is just cruel and totally un-ethical, especially as retired staff from other airlines will enjoy our old retired geezers seats available without such a restriction, including Iberia retired staff, one presumes, or does anyone know if WW is going to try an attack them, too ?

Best of British if he does, he may need Drake and the Armada behind him if he tries it on them !

But I'm sure you're "Alright, Jack" ( or Betty, as the case may be )