PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2011, 00:15
Colonel White

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm amazed. I don't know whether to pity the guy for his stupidity or get angry at the overweaning self importance, bloated ego and arrogance that enables him to lie so glibly.

The tent revival meeting attracted a few hundred supporters according to the media - In my book that is not a 'massive gathering' . The document is actually no better than that negotiated by Willie Walsh and Tony Woodley last year, but admitting that would really stick in Duncan's craw. I don't think he could ever have brought himself to recommend any deal that had been assembled by Willie Walsh. Hard to deal with someone who you have made out as the bogeyman, but then that highlights the difference between the two. Walsh never considered it as a personal thing, it was always on a business footing - what was best for the company. I do wonder how Mr Holley sleeps at night knowing that his actions have caused somuch pain to so many other people. He admits to the impact on cabin crew, but casually omots to consider the impact on other BA staff and BA's customers. But then I suppose he reckons they weren't important. In fact once he knew he had goofed and got himself sacked, he had no skin in the game at all, but could dictate from the sidelines secure in the knowledge that he was untouchable - the worst had already happened to him so he had nothing to lose by prolonging the dispute, in fact he retained an income stream as a consequence.

The offer of assistance in setting up new branches made me laugh. It would be an absolute fool who employed him in such a capacity. His apparent scorn for governance and due process means he is the last person who should be called in for advice.

I'd also suggest that any endorsement from Duncan is the kiss of death for any hopefuls looking for branch leadership. So the three reps he advocates at LGW can feel reassured !

Last thing that struck was it is somewhat ironic that BASSA must be one of the few branches in trade unionism that can claim to have had successive branch secretaries sacked for misconduct. Is it something they've been putting in the tea in the union offices ?