PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA proposes to strengthen airline pilot training
Old 13th May 2011, 18:06
Brian Cohen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew some people would counter my military fast yet analogy because of the kack of pax but I guess that is not really the point.
I wish one day the passengers will be able to choose not only the class of the ticket but also the pilots they want from a roster made by the airline.

The selection and training are top notch and to the point. A bit like some of the ab initio programs I was refering to. Just trying to say that training and experience have to be relevant.
Yes indeed! It is really not possible to compare for example a Royal Air Force College Cranwell to the best BA cadet program.

Experience is great but it needs to be relevant quality experience.
I guess everyone in the world would like to have the right amount of 'relevant quality experience', but I guess nobody really know the exact meaning of this very difficult, almost philosophical concept!

Some ab-initio programs seem to be able to mitigate the lack of experience through tough selection and relevant quality training.
Absolutely! Usually those very good ab-initio program are finalized to train pilot not to teach how to became one! Or usually those very good ab-initio program start with very good intent and end-up turning into a TR machine where its value is not quality but quantity and in the shortest amount of time!
I am not saying we have to start to teach pilot how to fly a plane with their butts again but it is really demotivating think about a young 21 year old kid (rich or poor whatever) starting his/her career start to push bottoms.