PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 15:15
window-seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can relate to your position as I had a similar experience a few years back having started my course in October 01 (3 weeks after 9/11). The market went belly up and by the time I got my FATPL there were hundreds of laid off, experienced pilots in the UK.

I had to earn cash to put a roof over my head and was fortunate enough to get an office job. But I knew I had to keep flying one way or another.
I completed an FI course doing just one day per week and due to the UK weather etc it took about 12 months to complete. This kept my flying current however whilst adding to my flying qualifications.
Having made alot of contacts over that 12 months led to a part-time instructor's job (weekends only) and I continued with my office job Mon-Fri and instructing at the weekend, basically having a double life! Several months later (and with around 1000 hrs) I got lucky with an airline, as did most of the instructors over time.

I know the industry is in a bad place right now, in-fact the company I work for laid off around 100 experienced F/O's last year

The good news is that most went on to find alternative flying jobs, even if they had to move several thousand miles away to do so. So, there are jobs out there, and as long as there is movement, there will be opportunities.

I guess what I'm saying is get on with your life, but if you are determined to fly for a living, you must keep a foot in the aviation door. It's usually the people you meet along the way which lead to the opportunities, and the only way you will meet these people is by surrounding yourself with them.

Flying of some form has to be the best way, and if you’re going to pay for general PPL flying, you may as well pay the extra few quid and do an FI rating whilst you’re at it. Aviation is a small world and you will meet many useful people if you can stay involved.

Alternatively, a job as cabin crew, airline staff, airport staff etc. would give you an inside hand and an ear to the ground and introduce you to lots of handy people.

On the other hand, I know guys who tried to find a flying job for a few years and then moved on. They are now happy in other careers and would probably not wish to go back and change their decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.