PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bankstown Burnt helicopter
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 14:29
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Reports it was a B3, apparently the pilot called a pan pan pan engine problem, before making the emergency landing.

The comment that fire trucks were on scene "shortly" is somewhat misleading from my perspective. As there are NO fire trucks at Bankstown airport a truck would have had to have come from Bankstown Fire Station (+5 kilometers distant) and although I didn't have a stop watch on it, and my view of the scene was obscured, it was between 5-10 minutes before I saw a fire tuck at the fire.
Anyone have a more accurate view of how long it took a truck to arrive?

In any event, it is puzzling that one of Australia's busiest GA airports has no on-field fire or rescue cover.

A low cost solution favored in many airfields around the world is to buy a used (retired) fire truck which is then manned by whoever is available (and qualified) on the airfield.
With Australia's willingness to use volunteers for fire and other emergency services surely this isn't a big ask? Fire fighters from the airwing were quickly on scene in this case, along with local ambulance and I'd suggest that there are other volunteer firefighters at the field who would also respond, especially if appropriate kit was available, like a truck.

Also, apparently there is no alerting system that can be heard across all of the field?

Mickjoebill

Last edited by mickjoebill; 13th May 2011 at 14:55.