PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions V
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 12:50
AV Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betty Girl

You have your opinions of WW, which I respect, but I don't believe he is anything as bad as you portray.

Through successive weak BA managements over the years DH & BASSA had successfuly taken complete control over BA's IFCE operations. WW couldn't just walk-up to DH and say "by the way, dear chap, that's not cricket you know, how about giving me control of my company back please."

Having let it get so out of line BA needed to restore the balance of power.

BA, through WW, had no choice but to build up defenses (VCC, MF, temp CC, contract charter services, etc.) while attempting to negotiate reasonably then take DH/BASSA head-on and lock-horns in an all out fully-fledged power-struggle (war). When you lock-horns you throw everything at your adversary that you possibly can (i.e. initially "ST gone for ever" - which, after taking the upper hand, WW did offer to return before his promotion).

As head of IAG, WW is still in charge with overall responsibility for both BA and now Iberia. Do you think he would have allowed KW to negotiate anything he would not have approved?

I was always surprised that WW was directly involved in negotiations to start with. Most CEOs have their staff front the negotiation while controlling them from a back room. Indeed as a tactic, inadvertent as it was, the Union having Unite's GS fronting the negotiations with DH in the back room having ultimate control over acceptance made BA's negotiating position all the harder. I was often surprised BA did not change their tactics in this regard and you could view the final situation of KW fronting the negotiations for WW as establishing that very position. WW's personal presence would then have been less apparent as it is now.

DH (and LMcL) need to be thankful that BA did not embarass them by making them have to make the strike call before the holiday thus making them look foolish in front of their members. The number of failed ballots was a pretty bad spectacle already. The fact they were not and are attempting to spin a victory out of a complete capitualtion is a statement of their megalomanical personalities. Indeed, Unite is lucky that BA did not let the situation develop to an eventual melt-down ending in Union derecognition.

As many have said, BA got the Union it deserved. The same is only too true for the CC in that they get the Union they deserve (elect) too.

I would suggest that intelligent, thinking, moderate and sensible CC such as yourself take great care to promote and elect a very different executive to the 'unruly mob' that wielded power before. Perhaps some of the people behind the PCCC should put themselves forward for election? In stripping the power from the current executive, BA have created an opportunity for the rank-and-file to think again and choose a very different executive moving forwards. They could, of course, sit back and let the existing power-hungry, unintelligent and immature mob to regroup under a different name, take back the reigns, and lead the Union back to business as usual.

CC have the choice.......

Last edited by AV Flyer; 13th May 2011 at 14:46.