PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Internet Banking Warning
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 10:01
Awakevortice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet Banking Warning

Having just returned home to UK from 3 weeks Dubai - Singapore flying, I was a little agitated to find that US$ 15,034 had been transfered out of my account via the Internet Banking facility. The funds were directed to an account in Dubai in the name of Mohammad Ayaz Khan. The police, the recipient bank and my bank, the HSBC were unable to take any action against the thieves. They had cleaned me out!

I was very lucky to happen to log on in time to have the fund transfer interrupted just before the last step in the process.
I was informed by the HSBC bank, during the attempts to recall the money from cyber-space, that having used a shared or public access computer, I had made myself liable for the loss and would be receiving no insurance or reimbursement from the bank.

I would like to warn other crews that the Atrium Internet cafe in Dubai is where my PIN was somehow obtained by these scum bags. Also, I would like to know if anyone has had a similar experience with Internet Banking. The bank proclaims "Worldwide Banking at your fingertips!" but I think they make a mockery of it by adding...only in a closed room on your own computer...... in the small print.