PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how many istructors did you have ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 09:14
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deanofs. I have 32 hours of training logged and have flown with 10 instructors although much of this time (22hrs) has been with three people, split roughly equally.

I, personally, haven't found it a problem - as far as I know. My training is progressing very satisfactorally - I have completed most of the syllabus and I'm about to do my QXC. As andrewc said, I think I've benefitted from having so many different views. The exception I would make is that it would be good to have the same person for the first few hours - ideally until first solo (I had five instruxtors over 7 hours and I'm sure I'd have solo'd quicker had I stuck with one or two).

At my club, it's just the way it works - if you want a lesson at different times each week, or at short notice (which I did) then you have to accept what you get. Having said that, once I got to know that there were one or two people I really didn't want to fly with, the ops people were quite happy to swap instructors round to accomodate that.

I also found it difficult when being told to do somthing differently than I'd already been taught. This persisted until I realised that I could answer back - 'xxxx told me to do it this way, which is also a valid method and which I prefer, can we try that' has usually done the trick.

I'd talk to the CFI and see what they can do. It may be that they just don't realise it's a problem for you personally. Different people learn differently and if it's really a problem the school should be able to work with you to sort it out.

I've found that the experience of somtimes having to make an effort to organise the instructors around my wishes has been a valid lesson in its own right. Perhaps I'm being too much of an optomist?