PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 06:04
KPHL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The bottom line is that you are going to have to accept that "almost" all the airlines are cutting back, not just cx (im sure you know that). The job isn't what it use to be, we know that. But the fact of the matter is that I will be getting paid more at Cathay than I would at home, flying a "heavy" (or baby sitting as you probably would put it), and getting exposed to the world. If you think that there are better opportunities else where please point me in the right direction, I am open to suggestions.

Im not a 0 time guy, I have 285 and a commercial license. Im not some guy looking for a way to get my ratings, im a commercial pilot, 285 hours of flight time, with a little over a 100 of that in a multi engine. I worked my butt off to get to where I am.

Option 1
I can continue flying GA, maybe get a job doing traffic watch, CFI, whatever. Build some time and just Maybe get hired at a regional (remember, the FAA has passed a new bill say that in order to get on with a part 121 carrier, the applicant needs ATP minimums, so 1500 hours and so on, this goes into affect next year). Spend about 7 to 8 years flying from the right seat before "maybe" i'll get a captain seat in an RJ (life is GREAT, 10 dollar pay raise!). Now im a rich captain at a regional, cool....next goal is to get on with a major airline (along with thousands of other pilots, good luck)

Option 2
Take the job at Cathay, pay my dues as a second officer and get on with my life.

You guys can post all day saying how terrible and how miserable life is but the fact of the matter is even if I dont accepts this offer, blacklabel doesn't accept this offer, or Tom, or Steven, Jerry, Sarah whoever dont accept, someone else will....thats just how things work...

You have done your duty as a "concerned" pilot and made this situation aware to potential cadets but your really beating a dead horse...let people make their decisions and live with them....

but dear god I hope Cathay doesn't hire people like this

You're worse than an alcoholic wife bashing cab driver married to a portuguese caretaker that complains about current affairs .