PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber role - why was Vulcan picked over Victor?
Old 13th May 2011, 05:42
Shark Zero Six

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor top speed

I was around when the Victor was being developed (and the rest of the V force) As a kid in the antipodes a great attraction was waiting to see the Farnborough airshow on TV (they used to fly the film to OZ back then - and I grew up thinking that the British country side was grey in color...)

we of course had our mandatory information books "The Observers Book of Aircraft" and some of us were even lucky enough to get hold of Flight Magazine.

Result was we were all child experts on aircraft and could tell you how many rivets were in every aircraft flying.

One thing I remember was the Victor. we were regulary getting snippets of info re the aircraft and I recall when word went around our group that a version had exceeded Mach 1. I've subsequently seen courtesy of Google (Alas the observers books no longer exist...) that they could indeed do it in a shallow dive.

Can anyone advise what the max speed ever reached (even if it's just a rumor) in a Victor.

Also was it capable of getting past M1 in level flight, or was there just not sufficient power?

Only ever saw one in real life, about 1963...flew low over Sydney at high speed one summer morning, came straight at me and overhead.

Beautiful.

thanks