PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 01:18
CogSim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debris distribution

Thanks to takata for posting the labeled picture of the debris field. I think the significance of distribution of debris is in trying to speculate the energy state of the a/c. More specifically, how the a/c chose to shed the energy. I realize trying to figure this out is like reading tea leaves, but I wanted to share my views.

Lets look at the debris by clustering like parts. Given a wings level impact, with high vertical and relatively low horizontal velocities, one would expect roughly similar parts of the debris to exhibit a rough symmetry in their distribution.

Let me explain. I think it is a reasonable assumption that the debris sunk relatively quickly. So, given roughly symmetrical forces acting on a/c at impact (given BEA impact profile), and assuming no major shifts in currents from impact on the surface to impact on the sea bed, I found the distribution a bit odd.

Lets pair up some parts:

a. Engine#1, Engine#2
b. Left MLG/WNG section, Right MLG/WNG section
c. Rear fuselage section, Forward fuselage section

Here are the things that look out of place:

1. Left MLG seems to have moved "forward" from Engine#1 whereas Right MLG seems to have moved "backward" from Engine#2

2. If you draw a line connecting both the fuselage sections and another line connecting the MLG/WNG sections, they are roughly parallel. I'd have expected them to be roughly perpendicular.

Just a lowly SP thinking out loud...

Last edited by CogSim; 13th May 2011 at 04:21.