PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2011, 01:07
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again you highlight my point by only thinking SHORT TERM.

Yes, it is a very sad indictment on the GA industry that a fast food employee with very little secondary education can and does make more than a new GA pilot. This is a short term problem. With more experience flying makes you more likely to be hired or promoted to bigger and better jobs. No it's not easy! But this is what this so-called passion is meant to being the driving force though such times. No?

The longer term result is that you are a better pilot, a better candidate and better future as a professional airman.

Now, as an example: how would you like it if your boss hired a kid to do you the same job as you for as much as 60% less pay than you get, and there are lines miles long out the door of people queuing up to cheapen what you do even more? The new applicants have little to no idea of what they are doing to the job as a whole, but they see a "job" and quick pay check that they didn't receive a day before. And your boss is laughing at them all the way to the bank while you are unemployed or forced to accept your new found "worth".

This is precisly what is happening here.

and there is more than work in life
My point again. When all the thrill of being an SO for disgustingly low terms and conditions wears thin, how are you going to afford the future of buying a house, supporting an unemployed wife and new born, car maintenance (if you have one), unexpected life's pitfalls that happens: guaranteed?!!

EM777ER has done well to outline very basic costs. However there is zero scope for quality of life or these unforeseen costs that occur in one's life: least of all the real & rising costs of property in HK.

Thousands of CX pilots have done it before this iCadet grab for money by management. It takes ball$ and integrity to not sell yourself short. It is damn hard. No one suggested it is easy. Look at just some of the things that I have mentioned regrading CX's treatment of "contracts" as well as recent history then the decision gets slightly easier. Have you considered this / these?? Today you sign this present offer and contract. Next month or year you see that eroded away to far less.... One's past actions are the best indicators of one's future behavior.

All of us with experience are telling you in no uncertain terms the truths about this iCadet scheme.

You asked what's the better option? Work and study harder than the guy next to you. Do it quietly and professionally. Share knowledge and experience. FORCE employers to hire you based on credentials, experience and talent. I guarantee you "the dream" will happen if this passion is honestly as strong as it is made out to be. This means allows you contribute to your profession, while the CX iCadet scheme makes you detract from it.

Hell, in many parts of Asia and Europe you can go from flying school to FO on A320 or 737NG!!! At worst perhaps an ATR!! The chances to become a better pilot, better airman and more skilled driver are there!! Do not sell yourself short for an airline offering no better if not worse money than Jetstar or AirAsia!! CX is not what you think it once was.

Digging a hole is a job. Frying French fries is a job. Cleaning toilets is a job. Flying a beautiful aircraft from C152 to Seneca to B1900 / Metro / King Air to 777 is a vocation. If you lose sight of that then the game is already over.

Good luck. I hope for our profession and your future you are able to make the right decision.

Last edited by TopTup; 13th May 2011 at 01:20.