PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meloz and 89
Thread: Meloz and 89
View Single Post
Old 27th Sep 2002, 06:57
CitizenXX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pole Vaulter,

I, and others, have said it all before. They do have different versions of the events. Sometimes those versions are right; sometimes they're wrong, but mostly they're misguided, bitter and vindictive.

Guptar,

Those who questioned the tactics were indeed threatened with career ending action if they broke ranks. Fortunately there were those who had the guts to do so.

Jupiter,

We all believed there was a Plan B, but there wasn't. They fired the big gun first, not in accordance with the undertakings, i.e., they would only be tendered IF writs were issued, and they hadn't been at that stage. There wasn't of course, any other plan. Violation of SOPs of industrial action.

If the Libs had been in government, the accord probably wouldn't have existed, and the course of events would, no doubt, have been very different. The pilots probably wouldn't have been in the same situation, i.e., accepting 'flat' pay rises (or having them thrust upon them) instead of percentages as is the norm.

Greybeard,

I see a win/win here. You say that you won, and I say I won. I'm not about to tell you you're a loser, even though you may behave like one, but I'm definitely not a loser. So who do we need to convince?

FSU,

They're not listening when you give them details of pays etc. The fact is, the cost per hour, and the overall cost of pilots to the company was much less than pre 89. The figures were published by someone who was infinitely more interested in stats than I, but I noted them at the time, and re published them here recently. Two and a half times the flying being done by two thirds of the previous number of pilots. Simple maths from there.

Truth Seeker,

Correct on the low, despicable tactics. I didn't agree either, but that's life. See elsewhere; Life's a $hit sandwich, etc. an just part of being an employee. Some things you just can't change, so the sooner one recognizes that, then the sooner one is off to a happier life.

Elektra,

Now, my son, let's get onto psychologists. The AFAP employed a psychologist, Tim Watson-somebody (a double barrelled name). He came along to the rallies, and put forward what diabolical strife they companies would be in, and what ABeles would be thinking right now, and he would be $hitting himself. Yeah, I'm sure he was with the bodgie on his side, the use of VIP aircraft and transports, the pre-arranged charter aircraft that had been sitting around Europe and the US doing nothing, and the also pre-arranged pilots who were all but on their ways by late August.

Now, our Tim was a man of principles; wouldn't have put up a case just at the instigation of the AFAP leaders, would he. He really believed what he was saying; was based on sound psychological practice, and wasn't just doing it for money, was he??

Interesting to note is that Tim was in the slammer for some time, and may still be, for cocaine use and trafficing. He was an addict, and took on the trafficing to fund his habit as so many do.

He was also a buddy of the crooked Melbourne solicitor, Andrew Fraser who is also in the slammer (8 years) for everything from snorting cocaine to threatening witnesses and perverting the course of justice.

So much for psychologists giving those who went back the 'be positive' line. The judge said that he was one of the worst liars he had come across. Yes, he was the AFAP's psychologist!! hired to rev us up with tales of finishing up in pilots' purgatory, never having a friend again, never being employable anywhere in the world except Australia, and even then only in those airlines existing post 89. Purgatory indeed!!!

I remind you that QF is taking scabs by the bucket load. Perhaps they consider it their obligation since they flew over domestic routes during the Clayton's dispute (it did end with the resignations) contrary to an undertaking given to the AFAP, or was that a lie too?

Amos,

You said on 25th Sept that you hope FSU 'will get on with his life and not dwell in the past'. Are you kidding? He is getting on with life, and it is you who is dwelling in the past. You go over the same old ground; Abeles was a criminal; the cost of pilots was more post 89 than pre 89; you are a scab; Hawke was a criminal; you are a scab again/still; you're all f.... criminals; the cost is still more etc; you're still a bunch of bloody scabs. I think it is obvious to all who is living in the past.

Kaptin M,

Me old mate Kap M. No, I didn't, don't, and never will have any difficulty with my decision. I've said elsewhere that I am happy with it, in fact more than happy with it, but my regret is that I didn't do it before I did - long before. Just think where I could have been financially if I'd gone back five or six months earlier on those super salaries.

Now my location. Yes, I had retired, but still under 50 I'm too young. My details were filed during the time I was relaxing. I have a small place in Malaysia, Kota Baru (sometimes spelt Bahru, and meaning 'new town') to be specific. If you're not familiar with it, it's about as far as you can go to the north east of Malaysia, and only a stones throw from the Thai border. Delightful place, right on a lagoon, and I regularly tumble from my bed into the water prior to the house girl bringing me my fresh fruit salad for brekky. So there is no mistake or intentionally misleading the readership. However, I am now out of retirement, and waiting the news from SQ. Incidentally, you could do a lot worse during your holidays than a trip by train, bus, or if you're really adventurous, by motorcycle up the east coast of Malaysia. I'll buy you dinner if I'm in residence. Just ask the locals - they always know when I'm in town.

I also have a smaller place in the mountains to the west of KB. It's a very pleasant place, and I retire there when I'm painting watercolours. For those of you who paint, you would know that heat and watercolourists don't get along too well. It's much better to have a cooler climate, and higher humidity is also desirable so that the paper doesn't dry too quickly. Oils and acrylics are OK on the coast.

It's a very pleasant way to earn a living, but I find that I can't do it full time. I need something more, and flying may just provide that again, but it may not if it's to be a Singapore basing. In that case I'll hang out for the SQ operation here..

Last edited by CitizenXX; 28th Sep 2002 at 03:55.