PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help for a trainee ATCO on VFR/IFR
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 15:41
Spitoon

I'm amazed at you asking this!
Whilst HD undoubtedly has much experience as a controller it is this sort of attitude to trainees at units that is far more frightening than the standard of training at Bournemouth.

rice.and.pea, I have lots of sympathy for you right now. I can remember coming out of the college being able to quote the books on separation and the different rules about IFR and VFR..... but without having a clue about what they mean in the real world. I met a similar attitude from the OJTIs at my first unit who spent more time complaining about the standard of trainees than explaining about the job I was supposed to be learning to do. I hope things have changed for the better where you are. If it is of any consolation to you I have now been in this strange business for getting on for 35 years!

The problem is that after you have been doing the job for a few years it is very difficult to remember just how little you knew straight out of the college. That is not to say that the college does not give you a good grounding, simply that there is a huge amount to learn in this business - indeed, you never really stop learning - and your knowledge has to develop from the theoretical bias you get at the college to a practical one from your training in the real world. I sincerely hope that current OJTI training prepares instructors properly and ensures that the trainees get the support where it is needed to succeed.

Good luck with the training - and remember, never be afraid to ask for help and advice wherever it may be available, whether it is your instructor or PPRuNe.