PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA proposes to strengthen airline pilot training
Old 12th May 2011, 15:34
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
MFS,I totally concur with your two points above. You have indeed been generous in describing some operator’s attitude to training, which also IMHO, applied to some regulators.

Superficially, the new policy could be interpreted as ‘blame and train’, particularly as the FAA appears not to acknowledge many associated / underlying regulatory issues.
Pilots require appropriate training, but this must be built on a sound knowledge base and has to be continuously expanded in operations.

I agree with the calls for more LOFT, which I interpret as the need to develop skills in using basic knowledge; the application of basic flying principles. Previously this was the ‘experience’ gained in lengthy apprenticeships, but with increasing commercial pressures we do not have the luxury of time (training or flying experience), and many individuals now have different social expectations – instant gratification and advancement in the profession.
Thus the problem is how to gain (teach) experience; how to apply the essential knowledge of aviating.