PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 14:32
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gutten tag jcjeant,

I am no investigator, but mindset is clearly not a quality associated with inspectors of accidents. You and bearfoil steadfastly peddle the notion that at the end this aircraft had a degree of directional stability no better than a falling leaf, and present it as indisputable fact. Although bearfoil has recently gone quiet on the subject, he still believes instinctively that the fin separated in flight at some point.

Yesterday evening, you asserted:
Other than an academic point of view .. what is the importance of the "trajectory" when a/c hit water or a/c heading for the investigation of the accident ?
Maybe few seconds before the a/c impacted with water the "trajectory" or "heading" was different...
Seems to me as a "random thing"

The inference of what you say is that either the trajectory, including track, was constantly and quickly changing at random, or that the heading and track bore no relation to each other. At this time, there is no evidence of absence of the vertical stabiliser, so to make the assumption would be unsupportable. Therefore, the burden of proof lies with you, in the present absence of the FDR traces, to prove not just that a deep/super stall was reached at some point, but that this condition would somehow render the whole surface of the tall fin ineffective at preventing sideslip.

Today, you write, sarcastically:
"I must be dumb .. lol .. as I don't understand ..
If the "heading" of the plane at sea contact is the same (or like) of the one of the normal route .. or if the "heading" is reverse of the normal route .. or even perpendicular of the normal route ... what this would indicate about angle of descent .... or track-mileage"

Unless the aircraft develops 180 degrees of sideslip, a reciprocal heading at impact would imply, at the very least, a turn of about 180 degrees in track. This would rule out a track distance from the LKP of less than 5nm. Are you suggesting that would be of no interest?

Quote:
"I don't see how find the track of the plane if I know the altitude LKP and the time to impact and the heading at impact ...
With these 3 data only .. the equation cannot be solved
There are many more unknowns"

True, and we don't even know what the altitude was at the LKP. These are the reasons that I said "some indication". The fact that these data are insufficient in themselves does not justify their being ignored. We must always seek for, and try to assemble, more and more data, until we start to solve your "equations".