PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SMS System Descriptions
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 10:50
flingwing1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMS System Descriptions

I have a Safety Management System (SMS) problem. My SMS is based on ICAO recommendations and Phase 1 of ICAO's Implementation Plan includes the task, “Describe the System”.

ICAO’s SMS Manual states: “this activity [i.e., the system description] is based upon Element 1.5 of the ICAO SMS framework, and discussed in Chapter 7 of this Manual” [the ICAO Safety Management Manual].

In the many internet searches I have completed about this, I have found more than a few system descriptions for various avionics and air traffic control equipment. ICAO even provides a decent system description” (outline) of an aerodrome” in its Safety Management Manual (Pub. 9859), Appendix 1 to Chapter 7. Another, more complete system description of Bangalore Airport, written by its director also exists elsewhere on the internet.
However, I have yet to see mentioned, let alone described, any system description for an air carrier - either scheduled or on-demand. This is mysterious because air carriers are obviously a main target for ICAO’s SMS efforts to increase aviation safety. You'd think the second step in the ICAO SMS process would have an example posted somewhere.

So, does anyone have a system description for an air carrier they could share - or at least point me in the direction of where I might find one? I do NOT want to copy someone else’s system description; I only want to see what one looks like so I can use it as a jumping-off point to develop one for my own company.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by flingwing1; 19th May 2011 at 09:57.