PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympic Airpsace Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 10:23
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“There is a bunch of selfish pilots who have no radio, no transponder”

That shows a remarkable lack of understanding of the situation. I know a significant number of pilots who are prepared to fit a transponder, but the regulations will not let them. In order to fit such a device to a glider for example there has to be an approved installation, in many gliders this does not exist. Some pilots have been trying to overcome this for 3 years with no success.

Another example is the max empty weight rule. Many “new generation” micros are very close to this limit – 1lb being common. This is the reason aircraft like the Eurostar are unpainted. Under CAA regs if the aircraft is over this weight, even by a small amount, it is a garden ornament. When we were involved in the mode s consultation we asked for an exception to allow the devices to be fitted as has been done in other parts of Europe, but this has not happened. Well over 1000 micros cannot fit the device legally because of this rule.

As for radios, I take it you think any fool can take a hh radio up and just use it? I owned a Nipper with a VW and 2 L4 mags (originally designed for tractors in the 1920’s). This was a factory built aircraft which had transitioned to an LAA permit. I spent over a year trying to suppress the ignition so I could use my hand held. I could get the radio to work at the cost of a misfire, or the engine to work but blanket the radio. I never solved the issue.

It might be worth understanding the subject before grouping pilots as selfish.

Rod1