PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2011, 10:11
ronron_v439q

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not give up if you REALLY WANT to fly!

All,
I have been waiting for nearly 2 years for Cathay's reply for the Cadet Interview and got the reply from them that I was rejected. I do not think many have waited as long as I have....
So for those of you who are waiting for a few months, thats nothing! give them some time, and if you feel impatient, send them an email sometimes to follow up but do not pester them!
For those who did not make it (to Cathay) like myself, do not give up! For me, whether it is a Yes or No from Cathay, I have already make up my mind a few years back to save up (and get a bank loan), pay for all my training, flight instruct, work in GA etc. I do not have rich parents, am married and have family commitments to worry about. FYI, I am 35 yrs this year.
Everyone wants free training, but if that do not happen, do you still have the motivation to continue?. Save up, work hard for it, if flying is what you really want to do.
I have to go to the cheapest flight school i can find, stay in cheap places, help to clean up the school grounds (Hangars, rubbish bins etc) so that I can get some discount for my plane rentals etc.
I know of guys who became a Flight instructors when they are in their 40s. I even know of a guy who was 51 yrs old when he was furlough as an FO in regional low cost carrier, and he is working as a bus driver now to make a living!
To make the long story short, do not give up if you really want to fly and do not depend and wait for Cathay's reply ONLY! Nothing is free always, you have to sacrifice and work for it!!!

Another thing, my wife is working in Cathay as a Cabin Crew and have been in HK for 9 years now. When she first rented an apartment (9 years ago), she paid about HK$7000 for a 2 bed room in Tung Chung. Over the next few years, rent have steadily increase (to HK$8500). Just this year, the landloard wants to increase it to HK$11500. She had to move out to another apartment with cheaper rent. She got housing allowance but not much.
We went to different real estate agents in Tung Chung and the average rent per month is about HK$12000 or more! You will be very lucky to get anything less than HK$10000 in Tung Chung now. (even government flats cost) Real estate price have gone up, therefore the rise in rents (according to the estate agents)
Adding up food, groceries, transportation, entertainment etc. It will be much more! And even more if you have school-going age children.
So guys, what the other senior Cathay pilots are telling you about Cost of living in HK is true. You might be OK when you are 20yrs, with no kids, no wife. But think at LEAST 5 years ahead!